Friday, August 19, 2011

Food for thought Friday

Last month, my family and I went to New England, ostensibly to escape the heat. Little did we know that the temps up north would break records and Boston would hit 104 upon our arrival. Nonetheless, we had a fabulous vacation, due in large part to a last minute decision to stay on a working farm in Vermont.

Liberty Hill Farm in Rochester, VT is about as picturesque a setting as you can get. There's the 150-year-old barn, the clapboard farmer's house, a pasture of grazing cows, a nearby swimming hole -- all flanked by gorgeous mountains in the distance. Luxury, it isn't -- no air-conditioning or blinds on the windows (hello rising sun at 5:30am!) and many bathrooms are shared with other guests or with Farmer Bob and his wife, Beth. But what it lacks in posh amenities, it more than makes up for in charm and experience.

My kids are still talking about this trip and begging to go back the next chance they get. Seriously, this made more of a lasting impression on them than Walt Disney World, which is just fine by me. There's a time and a place for "packaged vacations" like Disney and such, but there's truly nothing like truly seeing the work that makes up farm life. As tough as some of the jobs I've had have been, nothing compares to the labor and love that go into this lifestyle. It's definitely not something I'm inclined to take on everyday, but I will never forget what I saw and learned.

Guests to the farm partake in as many or as few "farm chores" as they like. This may include feeding baby calves, collecting eggs, helping out in the barn while the cows are milked, etc. A family who arrived just before we did even got to see the birth of a baby calf (sorry, but I can't help but call to mind that scene in the movie, "City Slickers." Remember, the one with Billy Crystal and his watch?)

So, if you're looking for a different way to spend your next vacation, consider a farm stay. Who needs Starbucks when you can wake to the smell of fresh cow manure (joking - avoid the barn and you will be spared). You'll meet new friends, eat yummy home-cooked meals (Beth makes some of the best cornbread I've ever tasted -- and I'm a born and raised southern girl so I know my cornbread!), live the life of a wannabe farmer (no overalls required). Plus, I guarantee you'll gain a new respect and understanding of what it takes to bring that jug of milk or hunk of cheese to your table.















No comments:

Post a Comment