Friday, June 10, 2011

Food for Thought Friday

For those of you following closely, you'll notice I skipped last Friday. My bad! But since it was only my 2nd entry as part of this theme, kindly cut me some slack and let me start anew.

A third birthday party got me thinking. Recently, I accompanied my son to a friend's little shindig and I noticed that many of the moms (and dads) were too busy socializing to be bothered with keeping an eye on their own kids. Many of these kids were happily careening into their fellow toddlers, hurting others and themselves in the process.  While their parents chatted nearby, several kids nearly fell off playground equipment or resorted to asking complete strangers to help them. One mom even asked me if I'd mind watching her son (who does not even know me) while she took a call on her cellphone and proceeded to leave him in my care for 15 minutes while she wandered off to have what appeared to be a casual conversation.

This got me thinking...are these parents just relaxed, "go with the flow" types or are they irresponsible and lazy? Have any of you ever experienced this situation and if so, how did you deal with it?

Just curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment