Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Everything I know I learned from Oprah

Well, that title is a bit exaggerated and downright misleading, but hey, it's catchy!

Since the divine Miss O is signing off the air tomorrow (from her talk show, at least), I figured I'd reminisce a bit about my short stint as a member of her staff. I actually did learn a major lesson during that time, but it's probably not what you'd expect.

By 2000, I was burned out from years spent working for CNN and yearning for something a bit less intense. That summer, I was going through the breakup of a major relationship and decided that now was the time to get the h*ll out of Dodge and go for the holy grail of work in daytime television -- The Oprah Winfrey Show.

A bit brazenly, I sent them my resume tape (sounds so dated now, huh?) and followed up with a letter that I'd be in the Chicago area later that month and would love to come in for an interview. Surprisingly, I got a call back saying they'd like to meet with me and to let them know when I'd finalized my trip.

It's a heady feeling taking a cab down to Harpo studios knowing that you could potentially end up working there. I arrived early and the executive producer who was meeting with me was tied up with some last minute show stuff, so they asked if I'd mind sitting in the audience for a taping. Unfortunately, it was not the "My Favorite Things" show, but rather, a show on female genital mutilation. There is a shot of me in the audience wincing rather uncomfortably at some of the subject matter and friends of mine who saw the show later that day and knew I was going in for an interview were totally perplexed as to why I was sitting there.

The interview went well and I was offered a position. I headed back to Atlanta, practically jumping out of my skin with excitement, ready to put my newly purchased condo on the market. My mom -- ever the voice of reason -- persuaded me not to cut my Atlanta ties so fast. What if it wasn't all I thought it would be, she asked? At the time, I thought she was nuts but her words turned out to be quite prescient.

I headed for Chicago as the weather was turning colder, though it didn't matter because I was really never outside at all. If I'd thought the hours I'd worked at CNN were rigorous, they were nothing compared to this. Working 18 hour days was not unheard of and time off was a big no-no, unless it happened to be a month when the show was on hiatus. I'd escaped the gravity of the subjects we covered at an all news network, but not the grueling pace.

I will never forget my time at Harpo and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity and for the fact that it graces my resume. But it didn't take me long to figure out that this fantasy job was one of those things I would later come to realize that you sometimes must be careful what you wish for. I was 30 and single, knowing I wanted a family and a life more than I wanted a career at that point. I later read a quote from Oprah herself where she says, "You can have it all, just not at the same time" and I wished I'd known that before I'd gone to work on her show. Saying I worked for her was a huge ego boost at first, but the varnish soon wore thin as I sacrificed any personal life I'd hoped to have in favor of booking A+ guests and dreaming up shows worthy of their namesake.

To the shock of nearly everyone who knew me, I walked away within months and returned to Atlanta, taking a job at a not-for-profit that I'd previously volunteered with. People thought I was insane, but the job was much more fulfilling personally and I had the pleasure of working normal hours for the first time in my life. To add to the timing kismet, I met my now-husband later that summer.

So, what did Oprah teach me? Well, the answer is probably obvious by now, but it it made me realize that a job is just a job, even if it's for Oprah (unless you actually ARE Oprah). Life is short and nobody lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at work. In a way, just knowing that I had gotten the job was almost enough for me. It taught me that I was qualified, determined and capable of reaching the highest goal I set for myself. But ultimately, that work goal fell short of my overall life goals.

So, as Oprah gives up her throne, I hope she also has the ability to step back and rejoin her own life a bit. I've never seen someone as dedicated as she was -- in the studio at 6am, taking part in every meeting, pretty much calling all the shots and always with the utmost professionalism. But at what cost? She is has never married and has no children. Perhaps this is what she wants for herself, but for me, a TV show just wasn't enough. I knew I'd want something more fulfilling and meaningful in the long-run.

Today my life is about potty training and tooth fairies gardening in the backyard and removing splinters, soothing occasional nightmares and watching Sesame Street. And while that might not be as exciting as say, meeting Matt Damon and Tom Hanks, or attending Oprah's annual Christmas Party, it suits me just fine.

And we'll always have Chicago....

No comments:

Post a Comment