Friday, December 31, 2010

Great Expectations

Another new year is upon us and I, like everyone else, can't help but set some personal goals for 2011. I don't think I've ever actually written down resolutions but I figured perhaps if I put them out there for all to see, maybe I'd actually follow through on a few of them. None are earth-shattering -- I have no desire to bike across America, learn to speak Mandarin or compete on "Top Chef." Feel free to borrow any of my admittedly modest goals, or add your own. Perhaps I will revisit this next December 31st to see which ones I actually made good on!

-- I'd like make a concerted effort to cut down on the whining and yelling in my household (from both parents AND kids).

-- I need to focus on my own health and well-being as much as I focus on that of my kids.

-- I'd like to actually do something with the book proposal that has been sitting on my computer for almost a year now.

-- I need to clean out my closet/garage/basement (in no particular order).

-- I'd like to figure out a way to cut down on the constant clutter that seems to litter our house.

-- I need to resist buying my daughter more clothing just because she says she'll wear it and I think it's cute, when in reality, it will sit in her closet or she'll complain it itches after we cut the tags off.

-- I need to treat this blog more seriously and endeavor to write more frequently and learn how to maximize its potential.

-- I'd like to find out a way for my husband and me to have a day or two away from our kids so we can reconnect as a couple.

-- I'd also like to reconnect with some select old friends with whom I've lost touch (and I don't mean through Facebook)

-- I'd like to take a "girlfriends" trip.

-- And no matter which of these resolutions are realized and which fall by the wayside, I need to practice being "in the moment" and appreciating each day rather than just looking ahead to the gazillion other responsibilities, priorities and overall activities still to come (now, bow your head and chant "Namaste").

As you can see, everything listed above begins with "I" so it's pretty obvious who needs to take responsibility to make these things reality. Wish me luck....and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment