Thursday, November 10, 2011

Food for Thought Friday

“Waking up in the middle of the night is the problem of every woman I know. The minute I had children I was like the mother listening in the woods for the bear. I don’t know if men are less vigilant, but my husband doesn’t wake up in the middle of the night. He could sleep in a dunking booth.”
                                                                                                                    -- Novelist, Meg Wolitzer.

Last year, nearly 16 million women between the ages of 40 and 59 were prescribed medication to help them sleep. Studies show that of mother's with infants, 84% experience insomnia. But sadly, sleep issues are likely to continue after your child is out of diapers -- not just with the kids, with the mommies as well.

Speaking as the world's lightest sleeper, I am practically woken by the sound of my kids turning over in bed. In my college days living in a big city, I could sleep through a cacophony of fire engines, ambulances and police sirens screeching all through the night. Now, I regularly wake at an ungodly hour to the pitter patter of little feet shuffling down the hall, followed by a small face appearing inches in front of mine, shout-whispering, "Mama!" This while my husband is blissfully unaware, snoring away. Often he doesn't know what nocturnal adventures have occurred in our house until I inform him the next morning.

How has having kids affected your sleep? If your kids are great sleepers, I won't judge you. I may hate you, but I won't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment