Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Independence Day

If you're a child of the '70s, as I am, no self-respecting, forward-thinking household was complete without a copy of the groundbreaking record, "Free to Be....You and Me." Who can forget those heartwarming and sometimes hilarious classics sung by the likes of Marlo Thomas, Mel Brooks, Diana Ross, Alan Alda, even the late, great, Michael Jackson. Where else can you hear a song like "It's Alright to Cry," belted out by a professional football star? Others like, "William's Doll," shattered stereotypes and promoted acceptance and tolerance long before it was en vogue.

Thank goodness my parents raised such an evolved kid, because my 3-year-old son came to me the other day and announced that he wants to take ballet lessons. Now, honestly, I didn't even blink before saying ok. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario. I know I may be in the minority because I've since mentioned this to other moms who laughed and told me they'd never permit their sons, despite their young age, to take a class meant for girls.

I do know of at least one other boy who is planning to sign up for the class, so my little guy won't be alone in his gender. But even if he was flying solo, I think it's so great that he can assert his independence and I want to do everything I can to encourage my kids to make decisions based on what they enjoy as individuals and not as what society deems appropriate.

Besides, Natalie Portman is engaged to marry a total hottie who is an accomplished ballet dancer. And look at Mikhail Baryshnikov.....his time in tights hasn't appeared to hold him back. Hello! Who would watch Dancing With the Stars if the only ones hoofing it were women?

So whether it's soccer, baseball, drama or dance lessons, I'm taking my cues from one of my favorite tunes off that iconic album.

Don't Dress Your Cat in an Apron

Don't dress your cat in an apron
Just 'cause he's learning to bake.
Don't put your horse in a nightgown
Just 'cause he can't stay awake.
Don't dress your snake in a muu-muu
Just 'cause he's off on a cruise.
Don't dress your whale in galoshes
If she really prefers overshoes.
A person should wear what he wants to
And not just what other folks say.
A person should do what he likes to -
A person's a person that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment