Sunday, January 16, 2011

Golden Moments

Okay, so in homage to my former life, I'm going to step into my entertainment writing shoes (wow, they feel so comfy, even though I haven't worn them for soooo long!)

I'm sitting her on my basement couch watching the Golden Globes -- Ricky Gervais, cutting, offensive but also wickedly funny -- gorgeous gowns, beautiful people, a bevy of talent, some of whom may be worthy of the awards they receive. And in case you are wondering what business I have blogging about these awards, there is a tie-in, believe it or not! (wait for it).
Golden Globes red carpet
You might have missed it. After all, it's the cutaways -- the unscripted moments before the show fades into a commercial -- that are really most fun to watch. In these short clips, we get to see all these big name celebrities talking amongst themselves, exchanging cheeky kisses, chomping on gum, laughing at each other's jokes, fixing their partner's tie (hello Angelina!). Do you really think for one second that most of them would rather be home in their sweats watching the festivities on tv? Honestly, if I'm ever nominated (hey, it could happen), I promise you I will not join the throngs of those who make this claim.

Before I get to the offending moment, can I just make up my own category -- And the award for cutest mama-to-be goes to a glowing, expectant Natalie Portman who gushed over her win (for "The Black Swan"), sending love to her grandmother (who she thanked for giving birth to her mother), parents and husband-in-waiting in such a genuinely sweet speech. Indeed, it was a night where nearly every winner took time to thank their kids and their own parents as well (a nice touch).

Okay, here's the mama moment in question: During her acceptance speech for her win as best actress in a drama series, Katye Segal, ("Sons of Anarchy") thanked her kids. No, that didn't offend me -- it's what she said in the way of thanking them that I take issue with. She said "Thank you for having such patience with a mommy who works." Now, perhaps I'm being harsh. People do tend to get flustered when put on the spot during these ceremonies and I will assume she didn't mean it the way it sounded to me. But, I couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to shout out to enlighten her to choose her words more wisely because all mommies work. Whether they work in the home, at an office, or on a film set, let me say it again a bit more strongly-- ALL MOMMIES WORK. Her sentiments should have been short and sweet and more PC, like Annette Bening (winner for the awesome film,"The Kids are All Right") who simply thanked her kids "for all their love and support."

There, now I feel better. I'd like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for letting me get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment