Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Driven to Distraction

When I first got my driver's license, I remember being warned by my mother not to do something silly, like put on makeup while I was behind the wheel. My how times have changed! Mascara is no longer the vehicular risk of choice these days. Everything from cell phone conversations, text messages, GPS devices, video players and screaming children conspires to drive us to distraction in the 21st century.



Here in Georgia, a law just went into effect prohibiting text messaging while operating a motor vehicle (even at stoplights!). First offenders receive a $150 fine and a point on their driver's licenses. Thirty states have such laws on the books and eight states ban the use of handheld cellphones while driving.

While I personally think these laws are good things, sadly, we continue to hear about people who are not deterred by a fine, or those who simply think it "won't happen to them." Just a few weeks ago, a well-regarded doctor in California plunged off a cliff to his death while texting. A deadly train crash in 2008 was blamed on texting and last year, a Northwest Airlines flight continue 150 miles beyond its destination, allegedly because the pilots were distracted working on their laptops. While laws can be passed that are designed to prevent this sort of irresponsible behavior, there is no way to truly enforce them other than to catch people in the act, when the damage may already have been done.

But as a parent, it never ceases to shock me when I read stories about moms and dads who were so distracted that they forgot they had a child in the car, often with deadly consequences. Personally, I cannot imagine what could possibly make me forget my kids were in the car (these parents must have awfully quiet kids!). If you are that distracted, you have no business being behind the wheel in the first place. Even if you don't have kids, if you are this distracted, you are lucky if you aren't the cause of an accident. And I don't care how late I am for work, or a meeting, or a big shoe sale at the mall, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING would make me forget one of my kids was traveling with me.

That said, this past month was the deadliest month ever for kids left in cars. Most of these children died of heatstroke as the temperature in a closed vehicle can quickly register much higher than the temperature outside. My heart aches for these children....and for their parents. As irresponsible as their behavior is, I'd say the worst punishment is having to live with the result of their own actions.

Obviously, the issue of how to prevent these distracted parents from even getting behind the wheel with their kids -- or someone else's kids -- in the first place, needs to be seriously addressed.  Car makers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are now exploring devices that may help remind forgetful parents that they have a child in the backseat. Some suggestions include chimes that would sound if seat belts are left fastened in a parked car, sensors that would detect extra weight in a car, or an alarm system that activates when a car exceeds a certain interior temperature.

I was surprised to read that 10 years ago, NASA engineers developed technology that can alert drivers if they've left a child in their car. To date, this technology has been reviewed by automakers, but none have chosen to use it. Sadly, it was developed in response to a NASA co-worker's experience when their child died after being left in the car.

So, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (or maybe in this case, it does?) to realize that if it can happen to an employee of NASA, it can happen to anyone. But all the bells and whistles in the world won't replace a parent who is more focused on anything other than the task of driving their children safely. As important as all this other stuff is to us (our jobs, our phone conversations, etc.), all of it pales in comparison to the most fundamental role we have as parents - keeping our kids safe.

Let's all try to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment