Thursday, April 8, 2010

Excuse me while I climb up here on my soap box

In my house, we wash our hands a lot. I could get a headache just trying to count the number of times I clean myself up after taking out the garbage, changing a dirty diaper, filling up with gas, handling food, going to the bathroom, working out at the gym, etc, etc. You get the idea.

But there is one thing you won't find at my house: antibacterial soap. Though I used to swoon at the delicious scents I bought by the dozen at Bath & Body Works, I later learned that antibacterial soaps contain a chemical called triclosan, which is actually a pesticide. While the jury is still out on just how risky this agent may be, the potential harm it causes is even more serious for children. Use of antibiotic products may also be contributing to the rise of so-called super-bugs -- germs that, ironically, grow resistant to antibiotics merely because  they mutate and grow stronger in order to survive among so many chemicals (like triclosan) designed to get rid of them. These mighty scourges just don't want to leave -- sort of like Kato Kaelin after the OJ Simpson trial.

Thankfully, the FDA announced today that it is re-evaluating the safety of triclosan and one U.S. Representative (Edward Markey, D-MA) lauded the decision and vowed to pursue the study of similar chemicals found in everyday products that may also pose a higher risk to kids.

The move is a step in the right direction. In the meantime, take a tip from your great-grandmother and give those hands a good scrubbing with plain ole' soap and water. It's safe, effective and often cheaper than those antibacterial versions. At our house, we swear by Method and Cleanwell soaps. In fact, Cleanwell's products employ the use of the botanical thyme, which is a natural disinfectant with major germ fighting properties. In the shower, the gels made by Shikai and Kiss My Face work wonders, with nary a chemical in sight.

I should point out that the FDA, while pledging to conduct more research on the matter, defended the continued use of triclosan because human studies are inconclusive. However, animal studies show that the chemical can alter the regulation of hormones.

And if I'm going to bug my kids to wash their hands, the least I can do is make sure all that washing isn't doing more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment